Saturday, January 19, 2008

Economist Debate & Mediocry

I've been getting involved in the current Economist online debate as a voter and a commentator. I made my pen name "mediocry" based on the name of this blog. I'm not sure I ever explained this name formally here, but I've been thinking about it in the last few days and I just tried doing a google search for it and found loads of links which made me giggle with ironic joy. The name mediocry comes from the fact that "mediocrity" was already taken (I'm supposed to be an underachiever in his thirties, the prototype of mediocrity), and because once I thought of mediocry (pronounced me-de-yaw-cree, like mediocrity, without the tee), it sounded also like Media Cry - as in crying out for attention using this medium... Anyways, it seemed clever at the time.
Now, via google search, I see that many people have used this spelling by mistake for mediocrity or even mediocre. Talk about mediocrity... I also found out today that ever since someone encouraged me to place a link for this website in my gmail tag (thanks Mr. Beantown, you know who you are!!!) people outside of my comfort zone of viewers (there were about 3 of you) have been listening in. WHY WOULD ANYONE ELSE CARE ABOUT THE TRIFLES I SHARE HERE? I don't know... It's public so it's their prerogative! I just hope it doesn't inflate my egocentric sense of all-importance.

No comments: