Thursday, August 28, 2008

Getting Over It

No, not me failing the Foreign Service Oral Assessment... That too, of course, but what I am talking about getting over here is that the Democratic party's presidential nominee is Barrack Obama. I have been delaying the inevitable in accepting this foregone conclusion. Clinton ran a losing campaign and has only herself, her staff and her husband to blame. No amount of Chelsea doing her best with young voters all over America's campuses could help. So now what do I do?
Hillary gave what I felt was a magnanimous speech and came across as a real champion on Tuesday night at the convention. Sure there are hard feelings and a cold, calculating, selfish reason for saving face in front of the party. But it was great to see and much appreciated. She convinced me I needed to do the right thing in November and vote for someone I still do not trust or respect - to help promote the party platform and avoid a worse fate than a lousy Obama presidency. And what exactly am I afraid of with Obama at the helm? Well, there are a few issues at stake:

  1. Losing the Democratic Party's momentum. A bad presidency by any Democrat could reverse the gains made in Congress and in state governments everywhere around the country. Obama has a higher risk of disappointing because of his unrealistic promise to change Washington. How can you change Washington from the inside? Obama is a politician within the Democratic party of the two-party system. Why does he or anyone else think he can end partisanship? And, more importantly, do we want to end it? Are two parties too many for us? Do we want a single-party state like China instead? I never understood this campaign platform, I still don't understand it, and I doubt I will ever understand it. I hope he means to "change" things for the better, but I feel like uniting Democrats with Republicans is a no-starter. And I am also unsure about how American citizens will be heard once lobbyists are thrown out of DC. Will there be a national referendum on every bill? Isn't lobbying a way for active members of our society (in this case the monied part) to get their voices heard. I just wish everyone forgets about the "blueprints for change" and not blame him for this crazy campaign rhetoric.
  2. Screwing up health care. Obama's campaign rejected universal health care. As someone leaning towards the European model of Social Democracy I see Obama's plan as a half-assed strategy. Failing to bring down costs of health care and rationalize the system is going to leave many people uninsured and sick, and without reducing or stabilizing the financial burden we cannot do anything of significance with the budget (forget about fixing any other welfare like the bankrupt social security, or doing something about the economy and our dependence on oil/global warming).
  3. Screwing up foreign affairs. We have our hands in more honey jars around the world than ever. I am sure any administration will be better than the Bush Jr one with regards to foreign relations, but it is not obvious how well Obama understands the core issues. Picking Biden was a good start and I would rest easier about this one were it not for the scary potential of failing to secure our old alliances, to reassert our moral dominance (not the military or economic ones), and to insure global peace and cooperation.
Obama, I am planning to vote for you, because you won the right to carry the Democratic platform to the White House. I'm hoding you alone responsible for your success. Please, do not screw this up!

3 comments:

Marissa + Scott said...

1. end partisanship? I never thought that was the point of "change," but maybe I missed it. I assume he meant a fundamental policy change (moving from a war economy and fear-based politics to a green/tech economy with social conscious politics) with the added bonus of putting the decision-making process out in public view
2. Agreed. Clinton had it right here, it's clear after living with such a system in MA
3. Electing a black (or woman) president is sending a message to the world that we're not assholes. really we're not.
hopefully that will help us/obama

whenuwerehereb4 said...

Hi Underachiever/Yoni/(whatever your real name is):
I came upon your page looking for resources on the Foreign Service application process and came upon your blog.
Wanted to tell you I really enjoyed reading your blog for the last hour. Your story feels pretty familiar to me -- as I am also unemployed at the moment, trying to figure out what I *really* want to do, and am now considering trying to get into public policy somehow, someway.

One difference we do have is that I've been an Obama supporter since the beginning (although I've got a ton of respect for both Hill and Bill)... Happy to see you've come around to vote Obama, though no doubt it's been tough after that crazy primary...
Speaking of politics, this Palin thing is nuts, isn't it? Only thing that's certain is it's going to be an interesting next couple months.

Anyway, I'd love to ask you some questions and get some insights from you on the public policy career track, hear about the FSE, exams, etc.

By-the-way, congrats on your wife's pregnancy and your new job. Hopefully, I'll be able to land one myself pretty soon here!
Cheers!...Andy

whenuwerehereb4 said...

FYI, my email addy is the same as my user name here:

whenuwerehereb4 AT gmail DOT com

cheers!