Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Foreign Service Application: Phase 4

Fail, get over it, and wait another year before trying again...
Alas, I am now another statistic (%90 of those who take the FSOA fail the first time). My quest to become a Foreign Service Officer must pause at this time and resume in March when I can restart the process by taking the written exam. The exam was just as I expected it, but despite preparation and anticipation I did not pull off a passing performance. While I passed the Structured Interview, I failed the Group Exercise (ran of out time during my presentation, among other sins) and the Case Management (ran out of time again) tests. I received a 5.0 score for the day and the passing score is 5.25.
The group of people I was testing with were all really interesting and highly qualified. I would not be surprised if everyone else passed (except that it would be a statistical anomaly). Their experiences ranged from working for NGOs in Baghdad to being spouses of active FSOs. Everyone was well-traveled and educated and the day passed quickly through many discussions and sharing with everyone. Meeting and speaking with them has convinced me further that I am on the right track and that the Foreign Service is a good choice for me, whether it happens or not.
I am glad I have a new job to look forward to next week, and a new baby daughter to pour my energies into!!! The idea of being an FSO and the road I've taken so far toward it have helped me to gain focus in my life and insights into my goals and wishes. I do not regret starting the whole process - I have had a great year and now a new, exciting future to experience...

No comments: