Sunday, September 23, 2007

Near Collapse

I am sitting at the Delta Airlines Business lounge in Mumbai’s International airport. I did not notice until now (on this trip), but the change from the dust-ridden, impoverished, loud, and menacing environment of the city to the luxuries of the hotel, or this lounge is quite disconcerting. And I have been doing this context switching twice on a daily basis. The mind has a way of protecting itself from this psychological attack on the senses. I have simply been blocking out anything that seems out of place. And what’s out of place? Is it the luxurious business floor with its lounge, daily in-room breakfast, and laundry service? Or is it the street-sweeping ladies, the ever-present free-roaming cows, and the motorcycles wheezing by with mom, dad, son, and daughter all somehow able to ride on the same seat? Neither. I am the one who is out of place. And finally, I can leave this place and let it be. It has a way of working that is bewildering to me. That the people of this country have not seen fit to form a communist society in order to create some kind of balance must be a tribute to the spiritual teachings of Hinduism - that one should lead a life of quiet, peace, and do no harm.

Today I did some last-minute shopping with my friend’s family in Hyderabad. I wanted to get something for my wife. I see some of the younger women here wearing kurtiyas (long shirts) over their pants. It looks great - a nice mix of east and west. I’m sure this fashion exists back n NY, but I decided to get some similar tops for my wife. Last time we were here she only bought clothes that she cannot really wear daily (only on Halloween) like sarees and kameez salwazs. We also purchased a suitcase for me to carry these and other presents, some sweets, and a separate load for my friend’s cousin who has recently moved to New Jersey with her husband. I am so happy to be able to do something for this family, who has treated me like their own for the past three weeks, but I’m a little weary of being a mule - I had to lie at check-in about packing my own bag, etc.

I’ve arrived in Mumbai at 7pm and my colleague Rishi (now my new best friend, since I’ve spent the last 3 weeks hanging out with him every night) met me at the airport to take me out to a nice bar & restaurant at a 5-star hotel located between the domestic and international airports. So instead of waiting an hour or more to take the free shuttle to the international airport, and waiting for 4-5 hours for my flight to begin boarding, I sipped Indian white wine and noshed on some grilled meats talking life, career, and marriage, congenially with my host.

It’s cricket again! India vs. Australia in the semis, and Pakistan already went through to the finals, which means an India-Pakistan final if India can get through as well. This new format makes the game as short as a baseball match, so palatable. Most of my co-travelers in the business lounge are watching the big screens. The less fortunate are crowding at the glass doors into the lounge craning to get a glimpse of the unfolding match. Chaak de India!

No comments: