Saturday, September 8, 2007

Indian Bidet

Every Western-style bathroom I have visited so far on this trip, comes equipped with a seperate shower head sitting idly next to the toilet (see picture). Is this for cleaning bathroom mishaps (a tinkle gone awry)? Taking a quick foot shower? Washing your privates while still on the throne (bidet-style)? I am afraid to ask, but I am sure I will summon the courage before long, as I am just dying to know. At least I haven't had to squat yet.


Last two days I have been busy at work during the day and have been spending the evenings eating large, delicious meals. The hotel restaurant is in the midst of a Singaporean food festival so we tried that - a buffet of laksa, chili crabs, popiah , and many more dishes. Then last night, on the way to drop Rishi off at the airport, we had dinner at the all-veg Chutneys - chole batura, dosa stuffed with paneer tikka (like chicken tikka, but with pieces of that Indian farmer cheese instead of chicken), and a mango-pickle covered uttapam. Heavy is an understatement. I have to slow down some. I might be eating a lot of vegetables, but they are mostly drenched in heavy curry sauces, and served alongside oily breads.
Not sure what I'm gonna do today. I gave the driver the day off since he has been working for over a month without a break (7 days a week, 7am to 10pm). I am trying to meet up with a friend's family who I met in my last visit to Hyderabad for her wedding. She is a friend from NYU whose greater family lives in Hyderabad. Several of her cousins here are working in IT and they were extremely friendly from what I remember. One of them was my personal guide on our visit to the Birla Mandir before the wedding (mehndi party). I had called their house to try to setup a meeting with the family. We didn't make any specific plans, but I just got off the phone and we are planning the day. My only true aspiration is to watch a movie in Prasads - world's largest IMAX 3D theater. I don't care where we go just as long as I don't have to squat and wash my butt with typhoid water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

to wash your privates of course.:) It is not as fancy as Kohler's new line, you should check that one out...