Thursday, September 20, 2007

Taj Climax

Last night we had our end-of-training dinner party at the Taj Krishna hotel's Ahala lounge. We had drinks, finger foods, music, and cricket (India vs. England, round two of the Twenty20 World Cup). We had bottles of Vodka, Rum, and Whiskey for mixing drinks. We had veg and non-veg choices for food, and some funky dance music (house version of Pink Floyd's The Wall - all the students from the training class started chanting "We don't need more training class lectures!"). We had ordered Joojeh chicken kebabas like we did at Fusion 9. Iranian Joojeh kebab is my new favourite multi-cuisine Indian dish (took over the Manchurian - previous favourite).


I got good and drunk and had a blast dancing with 23 Indian computer geeks (see picture). Things started getting really crazy (and for me, hazy) after India won their cricket match against England. I remember jumping around in a circle of Indian sweat and screaming with joy in a high pitch like a little girl. Some desserts were served at some point and I may have eaten mine off of someone else's plate. They also brought out some cake which read "Congratulations Losers" - not my idea although I heartily approved. I was asked to do the honor of cutting the first slice. Out of nowhere I had cake in my face. I felt like it was deja vu from my wedding party. Apparently this is a popular modern Indian custom in such happenings. Twisted West meets naive East.

I'm not sure exactly what happened next. I woke up at 3am naked in my hotel room's bathtub - it was half full with lukewarm water. I had thrown up dark matter on half the bed and the surrounding floor. I curled up into a ball on the clean(er) side and slept till my alarm woke me up to the foggiest day, figuratively and literally. I swore off drinking and slunked to work. I was a bit uplifted to find the training class empty. Thankfully, the rest of the class seemed even worse off than me. We agreed to take it easy for the rest of the day and that what what happens in Hyderabad stays in Hyderabad... Two days left and counting!!!

No comments: